Sunday, July 17, 2011

"Why do all you people like graves?

Well... I am sure we have heard similar questions. Some think it's creepy and weird. Others know it's about the history, the lives and for me, especially, the art. I have been drawn to all of this from a very young age...in an Anthropological sense, before I even knew that was what I was doing. (I will be doing a post about that tale soon.)

I find such stories. Lives lived that were all blips in time summed up on a stone by the form and art chosen or the words chosen...or the lack of words. Some are such mysteries. Some are so heart-rending. And some are a bit creepy.

They are all beautiful to me because they had a story. Empathy is my gift to them in exchange for my photos. I walk around and feel the happiness-es, the pains, the accomplishments and the injustices. I understand. These were people like us all with all the things we have felt. They were and did. They lost. It is very peaceful to me to walk among them. And it is odd...calm wraps me tightly in these places. It is like a thousand souls are holding my hand.

I hope I honor them.

No comments:

Post a Comment